Guerilla Games new Action RPG (Role Playing Game) Horizon Zero Dawn was announced at E3 and might be one (in my opinion) of the biggest games announced this year. I was immediately grasped by the Sci-Fi world Guerilla Games had created. From the vibrant colors to the stunning art design, the environment alone felt fresh and it immersed you into the world. Once they got into the gameplay I realized that visuals was just the “icing on the cake” for this game so decided to look more into what this game has to offer. I’m a huge fan of RPG games yet I haven’t been excited for a single player RPG game on consoles in a while. As an XB1 owner and PC gamer I have to say Guerilla Games might make me open up my wallet and purchase a Ps4.
The Main Character
Aloy is an outcast Hunter who was banished from her tribe at birth. Living 1000 years into the future in a post-apocalyptic world full of “fearsome mechanical creatures” she hones her survival skills to defend from rival tribes and machines. Her weapon of choice is a bow, along with her agility and wit she has what it takes to discover the mysteries of these Machines to save humanity.
Senior Producer Mark Norris says in an interview with Dual Shockers:
Aloy is an incredibly unique character, and she’s not actually representative of all of the rest of the different tribal humanity that you see in the E3 demo. She does have a little bit of a special relationship with the machines.
We can’t really get into the details of what that relationship is, or how that relationship may exist, but thre is something about her. Something that’s happened sort of in the first nineteen years of her life, that really speaks to why she treats the machines the way that she does.
And she may not always treat the machines the same way over the course of the game. So it is an interesting line, that has sparked a lot of interesting commentary, and we’re actually looking forward to see more people talk about what they think the theories are there.
Aloy is already getting a lot of love in the Cosplay world proving that Guerilla Games has done wonderful job in her character design. Take a look below and see for yourself:
Twitter Image: Follow @RavenStarCosplay
Twitter Image: Follow IbelinnCosplay
So we have went through some of the story line and talked about how beautiful the game is. The big question is how does the game play? What makes this game unique ?and will it keep you coming back for more? From what we know so far this game is deep with the ability to craft, hunt, hack, scan and numerous other ways to play the game.
Dual Shockers: Some Gameplay details from Producer Dave Gomes:
- Outfits aren’t strictly cosmetic. The outfit in the E3 demo increases some stats that have to do with stealth.
- Shell walkers play an important role in the ecology of the machines. The canisters on their back carry important resources.
- If you’re skilled enough you can knock the resources off the back of the machines and you don’t need to kill them.
- The slingshot is good for its big one-hit effect.
- The reason why machines are getting corrupted is one of the big mysteries of the game. It drives them wild, but also makes them stronger.There’s “tons of content” to investigate in the game.
- The override is a great way to turn the tide of the battle by making machines fight on your side. There is a progression to it, and you’ll be able to do more with it as the game progresses.
- Overriding different machines has different effects.
- The focus on Aloy’s ear can scan the machines and tell you some of their strengths and weaknesses.
- The corruptors are some of the most agile, fast and though machines.
- You can shoot explosive traps to make them explode even if the machines don’t directly touch them.
- Once you turn a machine in a mount, you can whistle to call it. You can do so even in combat. Mounted combat is possible.
- If you can knock off weapons from a machine, it changes their attack pattern.
- The machines are gathering resources due to their ecology. It’s a really important part of the story and you’ll understand why while playing the game.
- There are lots of interior spaces in the game.
- The E3 demo takes place a couple of chapters into the game, after Aloy interacts with a lot of the tribes in the northern regions.
Limbs can be shot to slow enemies down
One of the many ways to take down enemies
” The delay was mainly because it’s such a big game. We are a team of 200 people now, but there’s just a lot of content we need to look at and evaluate and keep improving.”
The anticipation is unreal for this game and we are truly looking forward to getting more information on this title in the coming months.